Friday, June 27, 2008

Our famous relative

A couple of months ago, I found out that I have Sri Lankan relatives. No one in our family knows who they are or where they are. My brother came across this interesting family trivia when he was chatting with my mother. Apparently, one of my grand-uncles - my mother's father's brother, went to Sri Lanka (Ceylon back then) for work sometime in the first half of the 20th century and he settled down there. He married a Sri Lankan woman, had kids and he never came back to India; not even to visit. The only reason my mother knew that he had a Sri Lankan family was because he used to write regularly to his brother (my grandfather) and once he sent some photographs of his wife and kids. My mother says that the woman was very beautiful. Once my grandfather passed away, there were no more letters and so no one knows where his family is and how his kids/grandkids are doing.

My brother has therefore decided to put a spin on this story. He says he has adopted the Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara as our long-lost cousin (or 2nd cousin to be precise). His reasons are:
1. He is a very good cricketer.
2. He is quite intelligent and extremely articulate.
3. He comes off as a very likeable person.
4. Since the chances of finding our real relatives are next to none, we might as well pick and choose the best.
And so by slightly less logical and slightly more opportunistic deduction, Kumar Sangakkara is our relative. Elementary, my dear Watson !

No comments: